Saturday, January 22, 2011

Now is the winter of our discontent

It is this time of year that I hate Oregon the most.  I know I have told this story before, but I'm going to repeat it so you'll have to bear with me or skip ahead.  I remember when we first moved here and one of the locals told me the best way to get through the 9-month winter is to schedule a vacation someplace sunny, sometime in the middle of winter.  I said ok, like, February? And she said, Better make it January.  I thought that was a weird response because January is not halfway through the season, it's only a few months in.  But we have been here for 3 Januarys and she was right.  Each January I have reached my limit and announced that I hate this place.

Unfortunately we have not been able to schedule tropical vacations any winter.

So the other trick is to have as much outdoor fun as humanly possible in the summer when it is actually pleasant to be outside.  But, last summer we had an infant and we could not do much.  And I happen to know something of our plans for this summer and it doesn't look like much travel is possible this year either.

In our house-hunting search we have decided to open it up worldwide.  Sort of.  So DH asked me yesterday, where would you like to move?  I say: "California. Florida. Hawaii. Florida."  But that is just how I feel in January.  Maybe when the sun comes out (5 months from now) I will feel differently.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails