Sunday, September 01, 2019

Aug 19 for 2019 update

We made a lot of progress on our family list for the year. It's more than half checked off, with a couple more things scheduled this month.

My classic movie in August was Cat on a Hot Tin Roof which is currently available to stream on Netflix.





It turned out I knew absolutely nothing about this film, other than its name. This was my 4th Elizabeth Taylor film, I think, and I really like her. I'll probably watch more of her filmography as part of 19 for 2019. Burl Ives was also very good in this film, still reading lines the way he does in comedy films, but in a more serious version of himself. I understand he was the original Big Daddy in the stage version, so it must have been a big honor for him to be in the film version too. I thought the subtext of the film was surprising for the 1950s...

My novel in August was No Fixed Address by Susin Neilsen.



This is a young adult novel, which appears to have been miscategorized by the publisher (or someone) as being for a pre-teen. I say this because at my local library and at the bookstore in the mall, both had this book in the children's section, next to Harry Potter. The main character in the book is 12 years old, and maybe that's why the book keeps getting placed with the lower grade books instead of the older teen books. It is my opinion that the subject matter is more appropriate for older teens and adults. A 12-year-old could certainly understand the language, but some of the innuendo and content would be over some readers' heads. The book addresses the homelessness of 12-year-old Felix and his lying, cheating, thieving, bipolar mother, who he loves and cares for. He is confused by her behavior and is embarrassed by their circumstances, particularly when the author unflinchingly illustrates what it's like to not have access to a bathroom on a regular basis. I would recommend this book.

My nonfiction read in August was the 9th edition of Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me by Paula Begoun. Since this is the last edition, and it was published in 2012, I wonder if Paula is trying to retire. Her website, http://cosmeticscop.com/, says she is updating her site as of 2019, but there aren't very many posts (maybe 3) updated in 2019. Her sales site is https://www.paulaschoice.com/ and is current. Despite the fact that 9th edition is outdated, I'd still recommend it if you are unfamiliar with Paula's work. She does recommend products other than her own, though her own products tend to be cheaper than anything else she recommends. The book is an easy read because the vast majority is a list of products in alphabetical order, and whether she recommends them or not. The only real meat of the book is the first 60 pages and the last 60 pages. This series has always been unique and it is unfortunate that she hasn't gotten even more exposure in the last 35 years.  







No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails