Thursday, October 03, 2019

Sep 19 for 2019 update

Still keeping up with my goal of watching classic movies and reading books.

My September non-fiction read was Toni Tennille's memoir. I read it all in one day, I believe. I don't suppose it's a spoiler at this point to reveal that Toni's marriage to the Captain was a heartbreaking disaster. Although she never attempts to diagnose his problems, it reads to me like he had some form of Asperger's and was incapable of expressing love, and possibly incapable of feeling love. Her love for him was unrequited for 40 years. She says that not once in 40 years did he show her any sign of affection. So it would seem that she is/was crazy as well. All he wanted to do was own her and control her, and she allowed it for decades because she hoped it would make him like her. Seriously! Although this reveal was terribly sad, I did enjoy reading about happy times she had in the music industry, and some behind-the-scenes stories from the music industry as well. I hoped she would write about her involvement with Pink Floyd The Wall, and although her stories were brief, she did not disappoint. Still in the end, the disaster of wasting her life on this strange man who was rather hateful and certainly crazy, it is haunting.

My September fiction was Dear Lola, which almost doesn't count because I read it in just a few minutes really, as it is YA fiction that I've read before. I read it because, oddly enough, in my mind I think I had confused it with a creepy VC Andrews novel, and I was trying to figure out the connection. I have not yet figured it out but I have no intention of re-reading any VC Andrews. The movie version of the book is actually better than the book, btw.

My September classic movie was The Trouble With Harry, a 1954 dark comedy by Alfred Hitchcock. I liked it. The story and dialogue were pretty original. I chose this one because I was doing research for my new writing project: a blog called Christmas Magic 365, where I write every single day with some positive prompt for crafting, decorating, journaling, etc. all in the spirit of keeping Christmas-like anticipation and fun. I had heard that The Trouble With Harry was filmed in Vermont during fall and had really beautiful scenery. It does, and I do think it belongs on a fall movie list, but I have seen better fall foliage before.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails