Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Covet, or, we decided to get a sailboat

Covet: to yearn to possess

Before my Seattle job derailed all of my hobbies and general non-work reasons to live, I was working through a kind of self help book and one of the projects was to just close your eyes and listen to what you really want.  I closed my eyes, and I pictured being on a boat.  I've actually been doing this, imagining this, for years...decades.

When we moved to Oregon and specifically Oregon City near the river, we talked about whether we might get a boat.  I kept arguing that it was not practical, for many reasons.

  • Boats can be money pits.
  • We don't know anything about boating. Anything at all.
  • Boating in Oregon is limited to rivers only.  The ocean here is extremely dangerous.
  • I don't like to be cold.
  • We don't have a crew member over the age of 3.
  • I hate launching boats from a trailer. (Ok, I know a tiny bit about boating.)
But, I close my eyes and I see myself on a boat.
So then I opened my eyes and I told Mike that despite all the reasons against it, I must admit that I do really want a boat.
And he said he does too.

I'm descended from a long line of mariners.  It's in my blood.

We decided on a Catalina30.  Next steps are saving the money and going to sailing school.

1 comment:

David Wallace Croft said...

I want a house boat but Shannon is not so keen.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails