Saturday, January 27, 2007

They're lucky we didn't dine and ditch

I went to work for a little while today, and remembered that supervising puts me in a bad mood. 4 more weeks of this, I think. I can't remember when Aleah gets back from maternity leave, but I hope it's not much longer than 4 weeks away.

Then Jerry and I went and had an early dinner at Panda Inn. I had a gift card to spend, from our gift exchange at work. It was a very bizarre serving experience. For the first part of the meal, we had excellent service from the young man waiting on us. Then there seemed to be a shift change or something. A woman came and asked us if we'd like dessert, and rattled off a bunch of ice creams and cakes. She could tell by my face that I was interested, so she offered to give me a minute to think about it, and I said ok. Chinese food is such a waste of food. You just have to eat another meal right afterward. So it's really a waste of food and money. But I always forget that until I'm ordering my 2nd meal because I'm actually hungrier than when I started.

Anyway, dessert sounded good. I thought cake might actually fill me up. But the weird thing is that no one came back to the table. The restaurant started filling up, and the servers were buzzing around, but probably 30 minutes passed and no one came to take our dessert order or to even give us our check. Finally I flagged down the manager running past our table and requested our check. He brought it, but of course no one came back to collect it. We finally put together exact change and left it on the table. I would think they probably wouldn't have noticed it to this minute, but Jerry said he saw the manager check the table as soon as we got up.

It's raining unexpectedly today. But I always carry an umbrella, so it didn't bother me.

1 comment:

Shannon Kristine Croft said...

I hate Chinese food. Not because it's like 'subtraction stew' but just because I don't like it. I used to say I like rice, but recently I have become hyper-sensitive to the taste of oil, which I hate. Last time I tasted fried rice, I tasted oil.

The same thing happened to me recently with the server not giving the check. First of all I hate it when someone whose job it is to speak to people is a mumbler. So our waiter mumbled the whole meal, then asked me at the end "Will there be anything else?" I say "No" then he said "Ok" and walked away! I waited several minutes and I could tell he was not coming back. I gathered the kids and asked the hostess near the door to get my check for me. She came back with the waiter who said he thought he had already given it to me. Whatever! Two main things a waiter is supposed to do - speak clearly, bill customers. I wonder if he's in the wrong job.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails