Saturday, November 04, 2017

Libby plays the piano

I thought I had posted about our in-home piano lessons before, but I guess I didn't. We started having a piano teacher come to our house a little over a month ago. It. is. awesome. Libby and Mae have reacted very differently from having group lessons in a music school. They love to play. They fight over the teacher and over who gets to play the piano at any time of day. They play the piano all the time. I never have to ask them to practice. They just go play it. Libby now says playing the piano is her favorite thing to do.

Here is a 30-second video I took yesterday of Libby playing. It doesn't look like much, but to me it's a big deal for a few reasons.

(1) She's playing with 2 hands, and the music as written is only for one hand. It's a piece meant for the child to practice playing bass clef with the left hand. After she bored of playing it with her left hand, Libby took it upon herself to play the melody with her right hand and then add chords with her left hand.
(2) She did this all by herself...no one taught her which chords to play. Her new teacher says Libby plays by ear so he's changing his teaching style to accommodate this. Her prior music school did not accommodate and so she never progressed even after months of lessons.
(3) You can see in the video she makes a tiny mistake and just plays on, and doesn't beat herself up about it. This is a change from when she had group lessons.
(4) She doesn't show off her improv, she just loves to play. I knew the song she was playing and that's the only reason I knew it wasn't written for 2 hands.

I'm so proud of her!

https://youtu.be/9K3BV3-s3_k


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails