Saturday, September 24, 2011

I want more

Libby did the sign language for "more" about a dozen times today, and it was the cutest thing.  She can communicate quite a bit now, between sign language and single words.  I think "all done" is her first sentence of 2 words.

Her sitter brought a dinosaur book today and she is fascinated by it and wanted to me read it 100x tonight, and also she read it to me, babbling quite a bit.

I made a couple of observations from the book and her reaction to it.

First, I see a lot more dinosaurs have been invented since I was a kid.  When I was a kid, there were only 5 dinosaurs.  T. Rex, brontosaurus (who I know no longer exists (I mean, the name, not the lizard, I know they are extinct)), stegosaurus, triceratops, and pterodactyl.  Now there are about 20, all with strange unpronounceable names.

Second, it is apparent that the collective unconscious does exist, and within it is an innate fascination with dinosaurs, especially strong in children.  I don't know how else to explain the fact that every child loves dinosaurs.  Mike says it is because they are mysterious due to being extinct.  Wrong, wrong, wrong I say!  Libby is too young to understand the concept of extinct, and yet she possesses the usual fascination anyway!  Mike says, well, it is because they are so big.  Wrong again!  Libby is looking at a cardboard book of pictures of dinosaur heads, with nothing else in the pictures for scale.  She has no idea how big they are!  And yet she is utterly fascinated!  Read it again, read it again, more, more, more!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails