Saturday, July 29, 2006

I am a theater snob

and I don’t care who knows it. I only want to see movies at the Vista or the Arclight. Or Cinespace. I never want to see a movie anywhere else again. Oh yeah, or the El Capitan. No place else, ever. I’ve made this vow a few times before, but sometimes I cave because I’m getting together with friends and they don’t want to drive to Hollywood, where all of the above-mentioned theaters are located. Ok, so I’m spoiled. I don’t care, I’m a snob.

A couple weeks ago, we saw Pirates: Dead Man’s Chest. Since it was sold out at El Capitan, I politely suggested the only other Hollywood theater where it was playing. My friends equally politely suggested a theater in Burbank. A theater that shows commercials and doesn’t have assigned seats and lacks parking within a 5 block radius. I asked Mike what he thought:
H: Mike, Heidi invited us to see Pirates on Friday.
M: Great!
H: (whining) But, everyone is going to see it in Burrrrrbank. El Capitan is sold out. Do you want to see it Friday or would you rather hold out for a better theater?
M: I want to see it with Heidi!

We got to the theater an hour early, for the sole purpose of standing in a line going around the block. It was already about a mile long. Mike and I drove through two parking structures that were already full. I made Mike drop me off in front of the theater. I stood in line and saved places for everyone. In spite of being a mile back in line, we were able to find 5 seats together when we finally got inside. The fact that the experience was not too bad and yet I never want to repeat it, underscores the fact that I am, in fact, a theater snob.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails