Friday, June 23, 2006

Hellevator


I dream about elevators pretty frequently. I just realized this, although I've probably been dreaming about elevators for the past few years. I don't know why, but suddenly I remembered several dreams all at once. The elevator is always different, but the one common factor is that the elevator is always broken in some way. And yet, it's still barely operating. Oh yeah, and it's always freaky. Most of the time, the elevator is pretty much the main character in the story. Occasionally there is a freaky elevator that just happens to be there in the background or managed to get me to some new dream destination without taking over the show. Sometimes it's a relatively large elevator. Sometimes it goes more directions besides up and down.

I don't buy into dream analysis too seriously, but I checked some online dream dictionaries to see what they have to say about elevators. Most of them were predictable. Ascending means a promotion or something positive. Descending means you're doomed. Not letting you off or out of order means your emotions are out of control. One website said: "An elevator dream is a rather complex dream, so you should interpret it in light of all the other symbols in your dream."

Any ideas?

3 comments:

Shannon Kristine Croft said...

I can't believe someone else dreams about elevators too! I was just telling David how sick I am of dreaming about them. In my dreams there is always something weird/broken about the elevator. One time the elevator was made of plywood and very rickety. Once it was very shiny but went too fast - hundreds of floors without stopping. Sometimes I'm searching for an elevator but can't find it, or searching for a certain one. A few days ago I dreamed I was at a concert and for some reason I kept going up and down the stairs and I was disturbing people, then I saw an elevator. The elevator did not have number buttons inside, only up/down arrows. I pushed down, and I ended up in a completely different building. It looked like a cheap hotel lobby, with a cigarette machine and everything. The dream ended with me thinking, "Ah, crap, it was one of *those* elevators!" and running back in before the doors closed so I could try to go back up. I have been wondering what it all means! :)

Shannon Kristine Croft said...

Ben voted on the poll. He is the "once or twice" vote, but afterwards he laughed and said his real answer was "never" but he just wanted to see what would happen.

Shannon Kristine Croft said...

Ok, here is what happened...he dreamed about an elevator. Yesterday at IKEA we got in the elevator to go up and Ben said he hates elevators because of his dream he had the night before. Apparently in the dream he fell into the crack between the elevator and the floor of where you are going. He was holding on to something and called out for Tommy to help him. Instead of reaching his hand down, Tommy lowered himself in the crack feet first. Ben tried to explain to Tommy not to come down, but then he started to fall. He said it was a scary dream. On the way back down he whispered, "I hate elevators!"

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails