Thursday, March 11, 2021

House cleanup update

 It was warm (65 degrees!) today and so for the 2nd time this week I got out the wood chipper and started cleaning up. Earlier this week I spent a couple hours trimming a couple of trees. Today I worked on that 6-foot tall pile of branches that was pictured in my previous blog post. I worked on it for 3 hours and did not finish. That pile is nothing, nothing at all compared to what is in my backyard. I realized that I will be working on the cleanup all summer. I don't mind it, but I had other plans for the summer.

I was going to paint the kitchen cabinets, and I still plan to do that.

I was also going to tear out the lower deck and build a fire pit. I think that might have to wait until 2022. 

Updates on contractor work.

Had 2 roofers give me an estimate. The first one came out to my house twice and never even got on the roof, didn't even bring a ladder either time. The 2nd one climbed on my roof and did a thorough inspection, removed one of the branches at no charge because he said he was worried about it falling on the kids, and then gave me a price that was 1/3 of the first roofer's price. I hired the 2nd one immediately. He said the roof on my house is not damaged at all, just the gutter. So I didn't have to do an insurance claim. I do have to get my shed roof redone though.

We are also proceeding with remodeling our 3/4 bath. Two contractors came to my house and one contractor requested photos by text. Of the 3 contractors, only one gave me an estimate. That estimate was what we had guessed it would be, and based on his professionalism we plan to hire him.

Next up we will be installing some more modern lighting in several rooms in the house. For whatever reason, the living area and kitchen have no overhead lighting. That's right, there is no light in my kitchen. I USE A DESK LAMP ON MY KITCHEN COUNTER. And then we have tall floor lamps in every corner. But sometimes it would just be nice to flip a switch and be able to see. Then we have a hallway with no light because the existing ceiling light just does not work even though we've had electricians look at it 3 times and say there is nothing wrong. And finally our laundry room has a big fluorescent light that Mike says is ruining his life. We have low ceilings, which maybe is why the previous owners never installed ceiling lights? but we can do recessed lights. And so that's what we are doing. But after the roof and bathroom stuff is done. Just in case of surprises.

Finally, and this was decided after the power outage, we have decided to pay to run natural gas to our house. We will replace the hot water heater, install a gas fireplace insert in that fireplace we hate, and prepare a place for a natural gas powered generator. The gas company said they would have a contractor call me within 24 hours. That was at least a week ago. Maybe 2 weeks ago.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails