Friday, April 26, 2019

April nonfiction - The Miracle Equation

For my April nonfiction I chose the new book by Hal Elrod, The Miracle Equation.




It was just published last week and I accidentally bought 2 copies during the preorder phase. I bought the Kindle version as well as a signed hardback. I'm still waiting on my signed copy, so I guess it's lucky I got the Kindle one right away. Obviously I'm one of Hal's followers. I can honestly say that he changed my life, though it wasn't because of his Miracle Morning series of books which is what he's known for. The reason Hal Elrod changed my life is because his podcast is the first one that I ever listened to that I really enjoyed, and if it weren't for his podcast I wouldn't have found Jordan Harbinger, and if it weren't for Jordan Harbinger I wouldn't have found James Altucher (side note, that's probably not true, because James Altucher is friends with Stephen Dubner of Freakonomics and I also listen to SD), and if it weren't for both Hal Elrod and James Altucher that I wouldn't have found Dave Asprey, and if not for that I wouldn't have introduced Mike to Dave Asprey, and Dave Asprey changed Mike's life.

So I've been following Hal Elrod for several years now, and last year he spent beating cancer, so I followed that as well. He had suddenly been diagnosed with a very rare and aggressive cancer and all the podcasters were talking about it and they were so shocked, but we all knew that if anyone could beat an extremely rare and aggressive cancer it would be Hal Elrod, and so it really was zero surprise that he did.

He tells his cancer story in one chapter of The Miracle Equation. It's necessary to learn his story in order to understand how one can remain positive in the face of such a challenge.

The Miracle Equation is deceptively simple. Hal says you define a mission for yourself, and then the mission will "miraculously" happen if you put forth Unwavering Faith and Extraordinary Effort.

As I read the book it raised a lot of questions for me, particularly about the Extraordinary Effort, but eventually all my questions were answered and I was comfortable with the equation.

Regarding the Unwavering Faith, Hal gives a lot of examples that you are probably familiar with. Dr. Seuss's books getting rejected. Elvis being told he couldn't sing. Michael Jordan being cut from his school basketball team. When you have Unwavering Faith, these types of rejections don't shake your belief in your mission. And the mission may take a really long time.

Regarding Extraordinary Effort, it turns out it's not that extraordinary after all. It's just the Jerry Seinfeld "don't break the chain" philosophy. The Extraordinary Effort is that you do something toward your mission every single day, even if it's just 15 minutes. But you have to do it Every.Day.

What really helped me further accept this concept is that Hal says you do not attach any emotion to your effort and you don't measure results. I have actually been working on a big project that I might consider to be a mission, because it is taking a long time. Since it is taking a long time it causes self-doubt and negative thoughts to creep in whenever I'm working on it. But after I read The Miracle Equation all my negative thoughts went away. I work on my project for an hour each day and it doesn't matter if I don't finish or make any measurable progress. My progress is simply that I'm an hour further along than I was yesterday. Since I have faith that my project is worthwhile, then the incremental progress is all that matters.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails