Friday, June 13, 2014

WWII Memorial - 1 May 2004

A little over 10 years ago I was able to attend the grand opening of the WWII Memorial in Washington DC.  I think these are the last photos I took on 35mm film, now scanned and put here for your enjoyment and blast from the past.

The "grand opening" actually took place over several weekends.  The memorial had been scheduled to open later and I think there was an even "grander" opening later, but it was decided to open it early to allow for as many veterans to view it as possible.

What I remember most about the day is how festive it was.  Many of the memorials have a somber feel, but the WWII Memorial is calming and even uplifting.  There were many veterans in attendance I got pictures of them meeting the press, telling stories, and having a kind of reunion.





















No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails