Saturday, January 25, 2014

Read

Over the course of a day, I read emails, blogs, ingredient labels, e-books, and books.  I used to only read non-fiction.  But the introduction of the e-reader changed that and I added an occasional novel to my reading list. The Art Forger and The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared are recent reads that I just loved. I'm very very picky about what novels I will read, and these 2 made the rare cut.

I'm newly enamored with the public library.  For me, the library comes with buying a house.  I know it doesn't make any sense, but as a renter, I never cared to go to the trouble of getting a library card.  I knew I was going to be moving "soon" anyway, so why bother getting roots in a neighborhood.  Since we have now counted that I moved 14 times in 20 years, you can see how the whole sense of being temporary wasn't really, well, temporary.

So, one of the wonderful feelings that comes with permanence is the feeling that it is ok to go to the library.  Although I'm not sure it would have even occurred to me except that I saw one of my friends carrying a library book.

So we went.  And it was a pretty big disappointment.  Because my house is in a small town that barely has 2 grocery stores, so it doesn't really have a library that's a whole lot bigger than the one in my home office.  And my home office smells better.  But I got a library card before I went home.

The library card is labeled with a web address, in great big letters.  So, after a few weeks, curiosity finally got the best of me and I went to the web address.  The website is pretty sophisticated, much more so than my local brick and mortar library, and it was very quickly that I had a long list of hardbacks being transported to my local library from across the county, as well as a list of Kindle books on a waitlist as well.  And the site emails me whenever something is ready!  So I just make the list and wait!  I now love my library!

Before library loans, I actually bought all my books on Amazon.  Amazon makes it too easy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails