Tuesday, April 20, 2010

It's got to hurt a little bit

Today was my first day off work. Sort of. They still emailed me, which I thought was rather presumptuous, except that I also responded. Still, I felt sadder than I thought I would yesterday when I said goodbye.

I got a whole bunch of errands done today and have been able to stay relatively pain-free since I am no longer tied to a desk. It's nice. When I got home from running errands, I completed a bunch of housework/cooking tasks around the house, while drinking frappucino and listening to an ipod compilation which I am forced to admit could only be described as melancholy dance music. I guess that is the kind I like. I meant it to be sort of a postmodern (i.e. post-'80s) dance mix: New Order, Oasis, Prince, R.E.M., Jane's Addiction, Jimmy Eat World, Killers, Red Hot Chili Peppers. But while crafting the mix I realized that the commonality was not so much the time period but the introspective lyrics. I guess I'm drawn to the irony of the lyrics against the upbeat melody. It's sort of like having a secret. From stupid people, but a secret nonetheless.

I wonder if my tastes would have been different if I had not lived my life in L.A., where life is secretive and introspective and lonely and upbeat all at the same time. I am glad that I don't know the answer to that. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails