Monday, December 31, 2007

Rose Parade float decorating


The Rotarians let me help decorate their parade float this morning. The float decorating area was a zoo today. I suspect it is not always like that, but gets more zoo-like as the floats near completion. The area was open to the public for tours and was very crowded. But it was organized enough that I was able to park pretty easily and get where I needed to be.The floats are made of foam so it's easy to stick greenery and flowers into the float. Every square inch of the float must be covered in natural material, but I'll let you in on a secret. Underneath, the float is spray painted the color it's supposed to be. i.e. an area that is covered with yellow seeds has been painted yellow underneath so that you don't really have to cover every square millimeter.

First I helped cover the foam with greenery. Then we put roses on top of the greenery. In the photo below, you can see the first 2 yellow roses placed on top of the greenery.

We carried in pallets of roses to decorate the float.

Here is a photo of the float in progress. It's a magician inspiring children to read books.

They let me climb onto the float under the magician's arm to put some red roses.

Here is what it looked like when I was done. I didn't do all of this, but I helped.









No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails