Monday, September 11, 2006

Time to Gather Up the Splinters, Build a Casket for My Tears

I read a news headline today that said though many remember, few are crying. This is not going to be a hugely long and boring rant on the bungled reactions over the last five years. You can get that from nearly any other blog and besides, it's just too cliche to write down. Why state the obvious as if for the first time?

I suppose my own opinion is that sometimes war is the answer. But, I'm not talking about any of the current wars. I believe in swift responses that inspire shock and awe and lay the case to rest. Since that never happened, I think after 5 years, it's much too late.

So let's put it to bed and find something else to fight. My sweet Mike, who lived to tell (and doesn't allow it to define his life), reminded me that we lost 43,000 people to drunk driving accidents in 2005. (source: MADD http://www.madd.org/stats/11088) That's 14 times as many people as we lost to terrorism in 2001. And I rounded down.

I'm sure there's lots of other things on which to focus, to spend money. Heart Disease...654,000 deaths each year. Cancer...550,000 deaths. The increase in obesity in the US and around the world. What else can you think of that's a bigger threat than terrorism?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails