Sunday, June 04, 2006

It is very interesting to go to the Hollywood Home Depot A/C department, in the middle of a heat wave. It's fun to see the Hwood types all in one room, not trying to be weird or beautiful, everyone has something in common.

Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire are not buried in Hollywood. They are buried in Chatsworth, about 30 miles away. I was there today, to attend a memorial and help place a DAR marker on Ms. Rogers's grave site. It was 103 degrees outside and I got a sunburn after about 10 minutes. The DAR invited Nancy Reagan to the memorial. She did not attend, but she sent a letter. In the letter, she seemed to indicate that it was President Reagan who invented the remark about Ginger Rogers doing everything Fred did, but backwards and in high heels. I don't think he invented that remark. But I could have misinterpreted her letter. Maybe Mrs. Reagan doesn't really think so, either.



It was a nice memorial, though somewhat disorganized. It got me thinking about the time I visited Frank Baum's grave site. I wondered why no one in the Oz club ever organized a memorial. I told Mike about the time that I went. "Nobody told me to, I just thought it was right," I said, somewhat self-righteously. "Was it an important anniversary of his?" Mike asked me. "Um, no," I said, "It was just a weekend that Jerry and I didn't have anything better to do." I recall that it was blazingly hot that weekend, too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails