Tuesday, November 08, 2011

My review of Can You Keep A Secret

I decided to break up my non-fiction reading with some lighthearted comedy. I chose Can You Keep A Secret? by Sophie Kinsella, because Amazon had it on sale for $1.99. I really did not like this book, and I read it as fast as I could, just to get it over with. It was lighthearted and sort of funny, but I just ultimately thought it was dumb and unrealistic. A lot of other reviewers had complained that the book was unrealistic, and the opposing reviewers said that was a stupid thing to say about a book that is meant to be lighthearted comedy. Now having read the book, I understand the first camp’s complaints, and I stand with them.


The book is basically the diary of a girl who lives in the UK. Now, I am not familiar with the British-diary-chick-lit genre, so I have no idea if Sophie Kinsella copied the Bridget Jones franchise, or vice versa. Or did Sophie Kinsella also write Bridget Jones? I am so far removed from this genre that I don't even know the answer to that. I didn’t even realize there was such a genre until now. If you didn’t either, you’re not missing anything.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails