Sunday, June 14, 2009

Begging you to touch and go


Today we went to the Evergreen Aviation Museum to see the Spruce Goose. I feel bad, but all the time I lived in SoCal, I never saw it. So today during our staycation, we drove to it. It's a little over an hour from Portland. Here is how the hangar looks from the highway. It's in there.
Yeah, it's huge. Basically all the other airplanes that they have on display are parked underneath the Spruce Goose. It was not possible for my camera to get the whole thing in one frame, but here are some shots. Front of the craft, taken from a 2nd floor loft:

Tail, and that is the wing at the top. See how far away the tail is and I am still standing under the wing on the 2nd floor. The helicopters next to the tail are not toys.
The interior, looking toward the tail.



The cockpit area:Here is the actual flight log. It shows one flight lasting 30 seconds.

There weren't any planes we were allowed to sit in. I remember I got to get into a plane at the Edwards AFB air show and at the Navy museum in Pensacola. So I was kind of disappointed they wouldn't let you sit in any of the planes. But for $4 I was allowed to climb into this B-17 and pretend to blow something up.They were all war planes except for a few replicas of early Wright Bros. stuff.


Oh, and this one for cats, I'm guessing by the size and the picture on the tail. I think it's nice of the aviation community to make planes for cats.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails