Saturday, July 21, 2007

A story about cereal

This is basically "finals week" for me, plus I have many deadlines to meet at work, work that I can't turn down because I am going on vacation next week and will be unable to work then. So, that is why things have been quieter at Waterfalls and Honeydays. Today is no different, I had school all day and will be writing all day tomorrow, and as I prepare my brain for that, tonight I will be logging some more hours for work to try to meet some of my multiple Monday deadlines. But I have a story. It is a story about cereal.

In the car on the way home from school, I was listening to a talk show where the founder of the restaurant chain Cereality was being interviewed. Cereality is a cafe that sells only cereal and cereal bars. You can't even get a scrambled egg. They have every kind of cereal imaginable, plus healthy toppings (like fruit) and sweet toppings (like chocolate syrup). You can order a bowl exactly as you want or order from their menu which has suggested pairings/groupings. I thought it was a very interesting concept and I liked the idea, except for the fact that the servers wear pajamas. I was pleased to learn that they have bins with just Crunchberries or just Charms, so you can get extra Crunchberries or extra Charms or add them to whatever you want. My favorite cereal was Frootloops with Charms. They made it a few years ago for a limited time and I loved it, but haven't been able to find it since. I would totally order Frootloops with Charms if I went to Cereality. But I can't easily, since they don't have one in Los Angeles.

One of my favorite childhood memories is from one time when I was home from school, sick with a stomach bug. I was maybe 8 years old. You would not think this would be a good memory, but wait. My mom came to tell me it was lunch time, and that I had to get up and go to the kitchen and get my lunch that she had made for me. Now, back then, my mom made me the exact same lunch every day. Peanut butter and strawberry jelly on white bread, a red or golden delicious apple, and cheese puffs. On that day, I couldn't stomach the thought of it. I said, "No, I'm not hungry." She insisted that I get up. I said, No way. She said just go in the gd kitchen and get the lunch I made for you. I was like, fine, I will drag my nauseous body to the kitchen and I will pick up the plate but I won't eat. When I went to the kitchen, fearing the worst, I was pleasantly surprised. On the counter, instead of a lunch plate with "the usual" on it, there was teeny tiny tupperware cup with some dry Cheerios in it. To this day, if I am sick but need to eat, I will pour a tiny bowl of dry Cheerios and eat them one O at a time.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails