Thursday, December 07, 2006

School's out for recess/Xmas Songs

At last, it's over, I feel relief. Or do I? Everyone in the office knows that I'm off for 6 weeks, and admittedly, I agreed to put in some extra hours during my time off. "Some extra hours" seems to be open to interpretation depending on who I'm talking to.

***********************************************************************************

There is some very bad Christmas music out there. Five bad songs:
  1. Christmas Shoes by New Song (why does such a STUPID song make me want to cry every time I hear it?)
  2. Christmas in America by Kenny Rogers (the intro makes me say "what the crap is this?" in spite of the fact that I am a proud American, plus it sounds weird coming from a drunk gambler)
  3. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Judy Garland (she does the Whitney Houston thing where she thinks it's original/impressive to switch the words around and doesn't get that it changes the whole meaning of the song/doesn't make sense at all: Faithful friends who were near to us/will be dear to us once more)
  4. The Christmas Song by Whitney Houston (see above, it is not "Everybody's mother's child". It's "Every mother's child" for crying out loud)
  5. Where are you Christmas by Faith Hill (It's pronounced "changing", not "chee-aynging")

Three songs that are so overly upbeat or overdone that they crack me up:
  1. We Need A Little Christmas by Percy Faith (It's like Happy Xmas/War Is Over but in a really trite way)
  2. Sleigh Ride by Debbie Gibson (or should I say: SLEIGH RIDE! SLEIGH RIDE!)
  3. Carol of the Bells by Trans-Siberian Orchestra (this one takes the cake for the scariest Christmas song ever recorded. It actually frightens me and when I hear it I imagine I'm being chased by presents like in Nightmare Before Xmas. I mentioned the song to my sister and she said "oh yeah...evil Christmas, I love it!")
Just to show I'm not a grinch, here is a list of good Christmas songs:
  1. Christmas Don't Be Late by The Chipmunks (I don't understand why no one ever re-records this one)
  2. Silver Bells by Perry Como
  3. Winter Wonderland by Johnny Mathis
  4. O Tannenbaum by Vince Guaraldi
  5. The Closing of the Year by Cast of Toys
  6. Tennessee Christmas by Amy Grant
  7. Jingle Bells by Bing Crosby and Andrews Sisters
  8. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by the Muppets
  9. Noel: Christmas Eve, 1913 by John Denver
  10. Everybody's Waiting for the Man with the Bag

1 comment:

Shannon Kristine Croft said...

When I hear the "Christmas Shoes" I don't want to cry, I want to scream and choke someone, like Rob Lowe. Remember when they made the song into a movie starring him?

Judy Garland sings that song in the movie "Meet me in St. Louis". She sings it at the time that her family has to move to another state so I thought that might be why the change, because the friends WERE near to them but probably won't be during holidays and she will miss them.

The name of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra song is actually "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24". I know, whatever. I had a hard time finding the song on an album while looking for "Carol of the Bells"

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails