Friday, November 03, 2006

Why you find mattresses and sofas on the side of the road

For the last 2 Fridays in a row, we have supposedly had an appointment with waste management to come and pick up a "bulky item", i.e. an old trashy desk.

Let me just back up and say that the desk was not supposed to be moved into the new house to begin with. I had a bunch of stuff at the old place that was labeled NOT GOING, but I kept catching the movers taking the stuff anyway. The desk slipped by me and I didn't find out about it until it was off the truck and moved in to the new place.

So then we made a web appointment to have the item picked up. No one came. Then Mike spent an hour on the phone and finally got a human being to tell us it would be picked up on Friday (today). Again, no one came.

This is why you find mattresses and sofas on the side of the road.

It just occurred to me that this might be a good topic for one of the dozen term papers that I have to write over the next 8 months.

I admit that part of the problem is that we live in an unincorporated area of L.A. County. The town is called "Montrose", but it's not technically a city. It is not in Los Angeles or in Glendale. Glendale is literally around the block, but this side of the block...not Glendale. The more I think about it the more I think it would definitely make a good public administration topic.

2 comments:

Shannon Kristine Croft said...

I feel lucky that we have "bulk waste" pickup every week here. Trash cans and recycling bins go out back, and basically anything else that won't fit in the can goes out front. If the item is in good condition, like a piece of furniture, it is usually picked up by someone before the trash trucks can get it. Someone even picked up our broken TV. I used to think this arrangement was stupid to have the large items in front, but it is actually good because many people can see the items and it keeps people out of the alleys. Just a few days ago, my neighbor put out a brand new push mower. I asked him about it and he said he was trying to find it a good home since it had never been used. No note on it or anything. The next day it was gone.

Heather said...

I posted an ad on Freecycle and someone is coming to pick up the desk tomorrow. I should have thought of Freecycle weeks ago.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails