Sunday, July 12, 2015

Timberline Lodge in the summer

Grandma came to visit at the end of June.  It was during an unusual June heat wave.  One of the 100-degree days, we decided to go up to Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood for their lunch buffet.  I remembered when we lived on the mountain in Sheridan, that it was always 10 degrees cooler at our house than at the bottom of the mountain.  So I figured the elevation at Timberline Lodge would also be to our benefit.  I was so wrong.  It was blazing hot.  Closer to the sun, I suppose.  And Timberline Lodge isn't air conditioned.  They opened up the doors and set up huge fans in the doorways, and it helped a bit.

Out behind the restaurant is a trailhead for Pacific Crest Trail.  I've known there was a trailhead at Timberline Lodge and I was hoping I could see it for myself so I could hike too someday.  I'm not an overnight hiker, but since doing a day hike many years ago on the PCT in California, I've been sort enamored with the trail ever since.

Mae and I found it and she wanted to hike very much, never mind the heat.






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails